Sunday 8 December 2013

Editing Task- Flashback

I have decided to try and create a flashback effect that we are wanting to include in our film opening. We are focusing on the young girl having various flashbacks on things that have happened, triggered by other things such as symbols e.g the cross. The quick scene I have created has nothing to do with our opening, but is just trying out the flashback editing so we can visually see what may or may not work.


I have decided to use iMovie for this task as I find it efficient to use and that I am able to achieve the desired effects I want from it. 

I created a new movie with a blank theme, and then imported the three separate clips onto my iMovie.

I went under import and selected the three clips off of my desktop, and then clicked 'import selected'. The clips are now on my iMovie and ready to be edited.

I then dragged my clips into the editing section, that would allow me to adjust and trim them.

I fast forwarded my end clip (the section where she looked possessed.) To do this I selected the clip, chose 'manipulate' from the top bar and then clicked 'fast forward' 'x20'.

I was able to change the speed of the clip as I found 'x20' was too fast to be effective, and so I chose '200%' instead. Despite this being slower, I now feel it may have been more effective to do it even slower so the movements are still jerky and un-natural (to link to the supernatural genre) but slightly slower.

I then trimmed the second separate clip which was the angel, as this should be long enough for the audience to focus on it, but not too long.

I then decided to focus more on the flashback transition. I clicked transitions which then brought up a range, enabling me to choose the most appropriate one. 

After reviewing a few (especially the cross blur and fade to white) I chose fade to black. This is because the whole mood is dark and sinister as it is part of the supernatural horror genre, and therefore black was better suited.

I tried to change the speed of the transistor from 'one second' to make it much longer, however it would not allow me to do this and I could not find a way that would enable it. This is something that in the future I could research and look into further (e.g at other programmes) if this becomes a problem.

I changed the audio to 0%, so no background noise from when I was filming could be heard, and the music that I layered over the top was clear.

I added sound effects as this is the main way that horror movies are able to provoke a particular emotion (such as fear) from the audience, especially within the supernatural horror genre. 

I chose the sound effects that I felt were the most appropriate and would give the greatest impact. 

Finally, I shared the clip on our media Youtube channel, as this would enable me to embed it onto the blog.

I am pleased that:
  • I was able to produce a quick clip that provided the impact that was intended
  • I was able to practice the flashback effect, and could identify the problems that arose

To improve:
  • Find a way to make the flashback transition longer, for the audience to be able to clarify the intention of the transition
  • The possession clip could have been made longer, again for audience clarity




No comments:

Post a Comment