Sunday 15 December 2013

Own Production Companies Task

The initial idea I had for our production company was to create something that involved the darkness and shadows, as these are two main conventions within the supernatural horror genre. I came up with the idea of a match being lit in the darkness to look something like this:


BlackoutProductions
After the production title has appeared, the audience will hear a quick blow sound, which will lead to the match being blown out, and the text disappearing as does the flame.

I filmed a match in front of the dark blanket on the chair. This is because if I had done it in complete darkness then the match would not be as clear to the audience, so I used a dark background instead. I dimmed the lighting in the kitchen slightly so the purpler of the blanket was not too vivid on camera.

I imported my video onto iMovie so it could be edited and manipulated into a production company sequence to be incorporated into our film opening. I felt that it should be clear, yet have some links to our supernatural horror genre.

After importing the video, I then split the clip to enable me to delete the parts that I did not want and allowed me to put them into any order I wanted, and then selected join clips to put them back as one long sequence again.

I chose the 'Fade to Black' transition as this was the most appropriate due to the content and the genre that I was trying to include elements of with the chosen visual and audio effects.

I then inserted the text that would have our production company name- 'Blackout Productions.' I chose for it to be in the top left-hand corner as it allows attention to be paid to the rest of the sequence. The font is in capital letters, and a professional font with perfectly formed letters. This subverts the genre I was trying to link to slightly as the typography within supernatural horror is traditionally sharp and classic gothic style.

I changed the font colour to grey so the text did not contrast too harshly against the dark background (it was originally white.) 

I used the website 'Free SFX' to allow me to have access to a wider range of sound and music effects. Although iMovie is good for basic editing, there is not a wide range of sound, and none of the already existing could serve the purpose that I needed it for. The effects were easy to download and saved directly to my iTunes. 

Next I layered the sounds so that the music continues as the blowing sound could be heard. I also edited the text to come in later so that the audiences focus was immediately drawn.

Finally, I shared the finished clip to Youtube as this would allow me to easily embed it onto the blog.


Here is the final clip.

I am pleased that:

  • I was able to create something professional looking and that included links to our chosen genre.
To improve:
  • I could have played around with lighting and setting more so that the smoke would have shown up more clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment